The landlord is normally responsible for insuring the property and its furnishings.

It is recommended that you ensure that your possessions in the rental property are fully insured and it is important that you make it clear to the insurance company that the insurance you require is for a rental property.


Ensure that you have an inventory prepared which lists the contents of the property and also describes the condition of both the property and its contents. Your agent can offer to compile this or a third party (inventory clerks) can be appointed to do it for you. Whatever arrangements are made, which must also be acceptable to the landlord, you will pay half. The landlord will usually pay for the inventory when you first move in, and you will be required to pay for the inventory on leaving the property.

Utilities & Council Tax

In addition to your rent you will almost certainly be required to pay electricity, gas, water charges, telephone, television licence, and any charges for satellite or cable television, if available. All this will be clearly set out in the tenancy agreement.

Council Tax at the rate applicable to your circumstances will also be payable.

As personal charges, these costs can be limited by you by exercising control over the amount of electricity and gas used, and the number and duration of telephone calls made etc.

Sampson and Co, 56 Highstreet, Normanton, West Yorkshire WF6 2AQ.

Tel: 01924 898791
  • About Us
  • Our services
  • Properties
  • Online tools

Quick enquiry form